Well…Happy New Year! Today’s a bit confusing. It’s sunny and bright. I woke up at 7am. I wasn’t hungover. My refrigerator looked like this:
WHO AM I? WHERE AM I?
But, I’ll roll with it. Green smoothies are actually pretty delicious. And my beloved new Vitamix cleans itself, which I can definitely roll with.
Since it’s that time of year, I’m writing resolutions, because like most normal people, I get a perverse thrill out of annually formulating an overambitious list of promises I’ll ultimately break, usually in less than 72 hours.
1. Keep my refrigerator that clean all year long. (hahaha, I can’t even keep a straight face on that one!)
2. Publish Portland’s 100 Best Places To Stuff Your Faces, 2.0, this summer. Yup, it’s that time. I only have a few copies left of the first edition (get yours at Powell’s or here if you still need one!), which is astonishing and wonderful and sad and freaking me out a bit. But it’s time for a refresh, and I’m researching as fast as I can! I can only stuff so much pasta/wood-fired pizza/cheese/pie/tacos/cotton candy/pub grub…and now all those things have to vie with a quart of pulverized foliage for stomach real estate. Well, for at least the next 72 hours anyway.
3. Travel more! That’s not really a resolution though, it’s more of a mantra. And it’s the key to my new venture, the Facestuffer Guides! I’m beyond excited about this fun new project and can’t wait to tell you more as I get closer to finally launching them. The website is up, but I’m still tweaking the first round of guides, so stay tuned… won’t be long!
4. Revive my supper club…stay tuned. I’m pondering some fun ideas.
5. Read more…cookbooks. I started this fun Pinterest board to keep track of some of our best local offerings.
6. Join a CSA. I know, it’s awful that I haven’t already, but I suppose I consider the Portland Farmers’ Markets my CSAs. Still, when I went home for Christmas last week, my mom was bragging about her Rogue Produce CSA membership, and how she gets to go online and request pea shoots and extra kale, and then her box appears at the gate, and I have to admit I was jealous. If you have a CSA you love, recommendations are welcome!!
7. Renew my Slow Food, Lan Su Chinese Garden (best teahouse in town!), Pittock Mansion (love taking a quick tour and having a picnic on the back lawn), Japanese Garden (serene strolls followed by lunch at Kalé or Chef Naoko‘s=bliss) and Lard of the Month memberships. Er, scratch that last one. I think I made it up.
8. Speaking of which, must buy this shirt. Finally. After lusting after it every time I walk through the Ferry Building. Also, will consider having a child, so it can wear that spectacular onesie.
9. My big, grand, starry-eyed, cross-my-fingers resolution: spend Christmas Break 2013 in Paris and Venice. Some time ago, I came across this picture, and ever since then I’ve been obsessed with the idea of spending the Lord’s birthday wandering twinkle-lit, snow-dusted cobblestone streets and eating epic, intimate pasta dinners/bûche de Noël at little neighborhood trattorias/cafés. We’ll see…who knows what can happen when one diverts her croissant allowance to the Paris-Venice Fund?!
10. Blog more often. Self explanatory. Feel free to lecture me when two months go by and all you hear on the site are crickets. Well fed crickets, mind you.
11. Eat beautiful food. Always!
And with that, I wish you the happiest and most delicious of New Years, I really honestly do think this is going to be the best year ever. I can feel it in my green bones!!