Saint Cupcake Galore Rises

We’ve all heard the fable of the Phoenix–the Bird of Paradise is incinerated by a careless angel and reborn as something grander, glossier, and even more full of pastries than before. Or something like that. And so goes the story of new Saint Cupcake Galore–the downtown reincarnation of Portland’s beloved Saint Cupcake, which has moved to grander, glossier digs even more full of pastries than before.

saintcupcakegalore

As I’ve reminded myself many times as I prepare to spend approximately 4 trillion dollars at the MAC counter on tiny canisters of eyeshadow that will inevitably end up rolling under the bed and never be seen again, it’s hard (and expensive) to improve on perfection, but Saint Cupcake’s Jami Curl and crew have managed the seemingly impossible. Gone are the cotton candy pink walls and fluttery pink umbrellas that made the Northwest location the warm and fuzzy cupcake-stuffed womb that it was, but somehow I wasn’t sad as I surveyed the new shop, which enlivens the glass-walled corner of SE Morrison and 12th Avenue, a sad, pastry-less shell since the departure of Three Lions Bakery approximately 4 trillion years ago.

saintcupcakeext

Saint Cupcake made the move in search of more space to accommodate the expansion of their menu, and a larger kitchen in which to bake the fruits of said expansion. Mission accomplished: the new bakery space is large and airy, the kitchen is huge and bright, and rows of exquisitely frosted cupcakes, decorative stands spilling over with freshly-baked pastries, and cookie-stuffed baskets line the wraparound counter as far as the eye can see, behind spotless protective glass fingerguards.

tableandpictures

saintcupcakefrontcase

There are still plenty of Saint Cupcake’s trademark baked good,

saintcupcakegalorecupcakes

but don’t be surprised if you’re tempted out of cupcake territory and into the land of Squangleberry Squares, Tiny Oregon Strawberry Pies, Oatmeal Cream Pies with PB&J filling, and Chocolate-Hazelnut Brioche. And of course, the infamous Saigon Cinnamon Rolls.

pastrycase

chocohazenutbrioche2

saintcupcakecinnroll

What’s a Squangleberry Square? It’s like cobbler, but denser, with a blueberry-studded lemon custard filling and oat streusel on top. That’s what. I’d get two or three if I were you. And if you were me, you’d eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in bed while watching The Bachelorette on Hulu.

squangleberrysquare

If you are one of those people who gets a kick out of the word buns, (Yeah, I’m talking to you, everyone in my family. Grow up.) you’re going to get giggles from the new and improved case. Because there are

stickybuns

and

cheesypullapartbuns

Seriously guys, I said GROW UP.

and

bonbonbunbuns

which I’ve totally called dibs on for the name of my firstborn.

And finally, there were the cookies. I’ll admit, $3 for a cookie made my pocketbook quiver a bit. I mean, that’s 1/5 of a tiny canister of eyeshadow. But one bite into the Butterscotch Galore cookie, made with Guittard butterscotch chips, rice cereal and pecans, and I was ready to forgo cosmetics altogether. After all, I’ve also got to afford a daily dosing of alder-smoked chocolate chip cookies–baked with smoked flour. What will they think of next?!

butterscotchcookie

alderwoodsmokedcookies

But while bonbonbunbuns, Saigon cinnamon rolls and Squangleberry Squares are all well and good, I couldn’t lose sight of the ultimate Saint Cupcake Galore prize…

saintcupcakepinkfrosting

the pink frosting. Strawberry buttercream, to be exact.

Which just so happens to comprise 90 percent of a Phoenix’s diet, the other 10 percent being made up of wayward eyeshadow canisters and lost socks. (And now you know where they go.)

Saint Cupcake Galore * 1138 SW Morrison * saintcupcake.com * Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 9am-7pm, Sun 9am-5pm